Hi there love,
I hope you are doing well today. I thought I would share with you today my top three blogging mistakes. I know I made many many other mistakes however, these are the ones I think made a greater difference. If you would like to know about more mistakes feel free to ask and I will share more in another post.
A little background information:
- I started this blog 2018.
- I had 3 different blogs.
- I started blogging in 2016, I started with a beauty blog on Blogpost.
- I changed to WordPress because of a school project however, I don’t regret it and I don’t think I would change this platform.
- I grew with the blog and it changed into something I actually love doing after changing and being lost for so long.
I hope I gave you a little bit more information with the above mentioned things. My blogging journey has been a long one but I’m so glad I was able to learn and grow so much from writing for Simply Rachel May. I enjoy doing it so much and I hope from the bottom of my heart that you enjoy it as well.
Today I will be sharing my mistakes regarding the following:
- Content & Pictures
Let’s start with consistency because I feel like this is the one that can have the most influence on the success of any blog. Like I mentioned before I changed my blog three times until I really found something I really like and now I have Simply Rachel May blog for over a year.
This was one of my issues because I didn’t define from the beginning what I really enjoyed so I started with one and continued to change until this one. This has affected me a lot because I changed from one industry to another without the consistency and I had to start from 0 each time making it harder to reach the success I had in my head.
Another consistency issue I had is to have a schedule that worked. I always said I’m going to post this and than the other however, I barely posted or I would post for some days and then I would disappear. This didn’t help either because when you are blogging about something and you promise something you have to complete it other wise people won’t see you as a trustworthy person. Additionally, posting for a while then disappearing then continue to post just won’t work. I learned this the hard way so please, If you want to grow your blog or content be consistent with it! Work with what works with you not against you.
Lastly, because I changed from one industry to another I wasn’t consistent with the content either. I would just post about everything and my blog didn’t have some sort of image or structure because I would just post anything I would think about.
Like I mentioned above I was very indecisive in the beginning of my blogging journey. I had so many things I liked that I wanted to write about everything. I wasn’t thinking to whom I was writing, who I would like to be part of the community and the content I would write about. If you don’t know who you would like to target with your blog, you are just writing to write. Knowing this will help you write better and get your message to the right people, to the ones you want. Blogging may sound so simple but you do need a structure to be able to reach your success.
This also affected the content because this was changing so much that I would never finish one because I already had other ideas and couldn’t decide which one will be better for the blog. This ended up in no blog-posts at all.
Content & Pictures
In the beginning my content and my pictures weren’t of the best quality. I know, if you are blogging for a hobby just like me these details may not sound so important. I also thought they weren’t important however, I was wrong. Your content and pictures are the things your readers will see and interact with, If you have poor quality the person may not come back to your blog. I have noticed this when I was really looking into the results, the blog-posts that had original and high quality pictures performed better than other blog-posts that didn’t have pictures or they where of poor quality. This could not be an excuse now a days because our smartphones comes equip with very good cameras that you can start there and then build your quality up. Remember there will always be time for improvement!
These where my top three mistakes I made during my first years of blogging however, I have improved greatly on these points. So I do have some tips to help you out as well. You may have heard these before because I had before I made the mistakes and I still made them. Don’t beat yourself up too much because of these things. When you begin to blog everything is new and you will eventually learn and grow with your blog as well. I’m not saying making mistakes is wrong because thanks to the constant changing of blog and industries, I finally found the things that I love writing about. I don’t even need a reminder to write!
- Define what you want to write about. This could be about makeup, fashion, lifestyle or food recipes. Find the one that speaks to your heart and not the most popular because eventually what’s popular is going to change but what speaks to your heart will be so easy to write about. You will also sound more natural and believable.
- Define your target group. Who am I writing to? What tone should I use in my blog-posts? These are thing that will help you improve your blog. I’m not saying because you choose a specific group that they are the only ones that will read your content. Of course not! However, it will speak to them better.
- Be consistent! Post regularly, at least once a week. If you choose a schedule stick to it. It will make it easier for people to find you because they will know when you post. You can also try different days and times and see what works best but post! Don’t disappear and then come back you will not succeed.
- Lastly, however not the least important is to be yourself, enjoy yourself and have fun with your blog. You are your own boss when writing for your blog, so enjoy it!
Thank you so much for reading my blog!
Have a great, blessed and positive day everyone!
Thank you so much for reading and checking out my blog.
Follow me on my social media for more content or update:
Instagram: Simply Rachel May
Thank you so much for checking my blog, I highly appreciate it and I hope you liked it as well. Remember to take care of yourself.